Ever since going camping last weekend and making some s’mores I’ve had quotes from the Sandlot running through my head. “How can I have s’more if I haven’t had any yet?” C’mon how can you eat a s’more and not think of that scene in the movie. Needless to say somewhere in my head I went from thinking about s’mores to thinking about using the bag of mini marshmallows I had in my pantry for some Rice Krispies Treats. THEN I remembered I had seen a recipe for Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats… Batter up! (okay please excuse all of the horrible cake batter/baseball batter puns, I can’t help it.)
Now I haven’t made Rice Krispies Treats in a long time, and all I can say is I do not remember the marshmallow being so damn hard to stir when its melting.
Despite the stirring difficulties, the recipe is incredibly easy. Here it is:
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 stick butter
- 10 oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup yellow cake mix
- SPRINKLES! (because duh everything is cuter with sprinkles, I only had some 4th of July sprinkles so my treats are patriotic)
- Melt butter on low in large saucepan
- Add marshmallows, as they begin to melt stir in cake mix one spoonful at a time
- Remove from heat, mix in cereal and sprinkles
- Spread into a 9 x 13 pan, you sprayed with cooking spray.
After I piled the mixture into the pan, I sprayed cooking spray onto my hand and just pressed them down flat. The cooking spray makes it easy to get the treats flattened out and your hands don’t end up a sticky mess.
That’s all you need to do, then you let them cool and eventually cut them into squares. If you can’t handle this recipe, well then, you’re killin me smalls!